It’s hard to face the problem when the problem is your face.

The Face in the Mirror

The Face in the Mirror (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I’m not trying to say that you don’t have a lovely face. I’m sure you have a stunning smile, a nice straight  jawline and a full head of hair (unless you are my friend Marcus Miller). But your face is one thing and what’s behind that gorgeous face is a whole other thing. When you get out of bed in the morning, and if you are me, crawl your way over to the bathroom and mercifully beg for it to be Sunday, what do you really see behind those eyes? Who is that person looking back at you? AND, do you like LIKE her, really LIKE her? (not in the Facebook LIKE sense.) For me, when I look in the mirror, I see A LOT of things that need some attention. I don’t really want to go into the issues regarding age spots, cellulite and gravity. But I seriously have a whole laundry list of things that I need to work on.

In the not too distant past, 16 months ago to be exact, I had a very minor mid-life crisis. My husband will tell you it was a major crisis and this whole household brought me Chardonnay & Dove Chocolates as peace offerings. Regardless, I started to question myself day and night if I had done everything that I set out to do in this life. I HAD DREAMS BEFORE THESE KIDS came along and wore me down!! I love my kids by the way. But my everyday routine and schedules really had gotten in the way of the big plans I had made for my adult life. So, I started to crawl over to the mirror each morning and look at my face to ask, when I leave this world, what am I leaving behind? What legacy have I left behind for my children to tell their children? Did I leave a big mark on this planet or small? I really struggled with this, every day. Don’t get me wrong, I really love my day job. And I really love my family. You will not find a more passionate person about the company that I have given my life to for the last 15 years. But at the end of the day, the answer stared back at me in the mirror. Functional Pathways is my husband’s legacy. It is his baby. He has grown and nurtured this child for almost two decades and he is a proud Papa, or Big Papa as he calls himself. Dan Knorr lives and breathes this company every day of his life. His love for this company is infectious and his PASSION is contagious. I too have many aha! moments where I bust out with some amazing morsel of genius, which always takes my peers by surprise. But Functional Pathways is not my legacy. This is not what I set out to do. It is what I get up and do every day and I pour my heart and soul into my job. But it is not my legacy and I can’t take someone else’s dream and make it mine. I finally looked in the mirror one day and made peace with my face. I realized now is the time to do what I set out to do.

Dr. Suess is a really cool guy. I mean seriously, some of the most profound things ever written were said by that man. I could quote him all day. But, on this particular day, I am embracing his words, “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way.”

So, I got on my way. And here I am. This is what I set out to do. I set out to tell my story. I thought my story would come in the way of a novel that would be praised by the Huffington Post and receive 4 out of 4 stars in my weekly People magazine. But my story is my Blog. I hope to share stories that might motivate, inspire or entertain you. If that didn’t happen today, please don’t abandon my blog and give me another chance! Seriously, don’t abandon my blog.

So, today my question for you is, what did you set out to do? What is your legacy? Because you HAVE TO have a legacy. No matter what. You  have to leave your mark on this world. Please share your story with all of us.

Advertisements

35 thoughts on “It’s hard to face the problem when the problem is your face.

1. Well done. I love to see a woman inspired! I think you and I were on a similar track of life processing this past 18 months! (https://elliekittrell.wordpress.com/). Looking forward to future postings.

2. Well done! I love to see a woman inspired! I think you and I have been on a similar track of life processing (https://elliekittrell.wordpress.com/). Looking forward to future posts. 🙂

3. Gina Henthorne says:

It Can Be Hard To Look Deep Within-Actually Can Be Very Painful. But If Committed To Making Positive Changes, The Entire Process Can Be Very Rewarding. I Am Looking Forward To Future Blogs. Well Written And Entertaining!

4. Bethany mounger says:

Oh Angel, I have been struggling with the same only I call it “what do I want to be when I grow up “. I always thought that my soul purpose on earth was to be a wife and mom. As I have done this for the past 10 years, I too find myself wanting more. I’ve thought about going back to school and so on but still have not decided “what I want to do when I grow up”.
    I did decide this year that it is VERY important to have my own identity other than wife and mother and i need girlfriends to do things with. I am working on that daily and I have branched out and joined a book club and go out at least monthly with some friends. Baby steps but ill get there. Thank you for your blog!

5. Terry Evans says:

I prepare daily devotions for my adult Sunday School class for every day. Out of all the discussions in class and out of class here is the best summary of life I have found: Laugh when you can. Apologize when you should. Let go of what you can’t change. Kiss slowly. Play hard. Forgive quickly. Take chances. Give everything. Bear no regrets. Help someone every day. .

6. Holli McCray says:

I say, AMEN, SISTER! I remember some of those conversations WAY back in the day and I commend you for your perspective! Good work outta you!

• angelknorr says:

Holli, you & I go way back my friend! Thank you for your support & please comment on my Blogs any time. But don’t share any of our College tales of misadventure 🙂

7. melanie.hankinson@facebook.com says:

Very nice. Looking forward to more blogs!

8. Leigh Cooper says:

I think it’s awesome that you are pursuing your dreams, & can’t wait to see what you create! 🙂

• angelknorr says:

Thank you Leigh for visiting my Blog. From one “writer” to another, it’s challenging to make that first step, but I’m feeling more comfortable already!

9. Paula Hargis says:

Wonderfully written and very inspiring. Don’t give up on writing that book though, not the novel but that true amazing story that has been on your heart all these years.

• angelknorr says:

Thank you Paula for your support! I will have to book that book plan on hold I’m afraid until I do actually & officially retire…lol 🙂 Which i don’t plan on doing any time soon, so make sure the exec team knows that for my next 360…haha.

10. Fawn says:

Awesome Angel!! Thank you for sharing. Will be following. I believe it is human nature to always want more or to do more! After fulfilling my dream of becoming a teacher (in which I love doing), I feel like there are a couple of other things I really want to do. They stay on my mind constantly. 1. I would love to research a group of kids that have specific similar characteristics that I see everyday in teaching. So many go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD (in which I’m no doctor), but in the end have visual perception disorders. 2. I would also love to contract with schools on anti-bullying policies (don’t mean just speak to them), but implement a program and monitor the program until it is enforced by habit by all teachers/employees & is successful in preventing bullying in the educational environment. But like you, I love my kids, but mine are still small. Maybe one day I can work on those dreams. 🙂

• angelknorr says:

Thank you Fawn for following my blog! I think you have some really creative ideas to get excited about! I agree that the ADHD/ADD children are often misdiagnosed and medicated incorrectly. As a parent with a child of ADD, it was a difficult experience for many years and I still don’t believe our child was put into the right medical diagnosis category. Bullying is a nationwide epidemic and I am glad to see that it is getting a lot of attention and people are making a stance to address the issue. Start doing your research and when you equipped to make that first step into a new area of your career, DO IT!

11. Colleen lee says:

Angel, thank you for taking the thoughts out of my mind and placing them in text. I can’t wait to read more. I think with the exception of these last 10 months of my life I have felt the same exact thing for the last 12 years. It is a daily struggle and it is so nice to hear and read from people all over that they feel the same thing and know that we share a common bond. Keep it up can’t wait to read more. Your friend and i love you! always and forever- without trying to sound like a Wilson Philips song by the way. Xo cbl

• angelknorr says:

There is no question that you & I built a common bond 8 years ago. I am nothing without my friends and those who support me. Thank you CBL for being one of those people and you know that I will always be you biggest fan. The best is yet to come my friend. and I love you too sweet girl.

12. Sheila Capitosti says:

Speaking of faces, I do not think that anyone would disagree that Mother Teresa did not have a particularly pretty face yet her legacy is second to none and I find myself thinking about what are the really important things I should be striving for. Her “Do It Anyway” prayer was posted recently on Facebook and I find I cannot get it out of my mind. It goes like this–“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway. If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway. If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” So Angel, thank you for your story–as one of your co-workers, I can say it has been my pleasure to work with you and learn from you–never sell yourself short. You are creating a powerful legacy, whether you realize it or not. Looking forward to more of your story.

13. angelknorr says:

SERIOUSLY SHEILA? From the girl who is never short of words… I am speechless right now. Well, I do have a few words left…the words of Mother Teresa have inspired the world and I am honored to have those words on my page today. I haven’t heard that quote before and I love, love it. Thank you Sheila for the knowledge and PASSION you have brought to this company. I look forward to the inspiration you will bring to my readers with your GUEST BLOGS. haha

14. Katrina says:

LOVED this! I often think about what my legacy will be and if it will be positive in the eyes of my children. I can not wait for the next one! Great job!

• angelknorr says:

Thank you Katrina for reading my Blog. You have been an amazing mother to Corinne & Ethan. Being a full-time working mom in an Executive Level position requires commitment and it’s so hard to find balance. YOU are committed. You have created your own legacy and set an example for your children to follow. xoxo

15. Great job, Angel! It takes courage to put your heart and soul out there for the world to read and judge. Well said and with great courage! I look forward to more.

• angelknorr says:

Thank you my friend. It also takes courage to inspire young women to pursue their own journey. I am so proud of you for following your dream and inspiring young women. AND I have so enjoyed the laughs that we have shared and taking you off speaker phone each time you call due to potty mouth. xoxo

16. Kelli Douglas says:

Super PROUD of you Momma! Very inspiring! Not only are you a wonderful mother, wife, sister, aunt, boss and co-worker, I feel blessed to call you a friend. Glad you took the leap and very excited to read more! 🙂

• angelknorr says:

Thank you lil baby girl. You too are my inspiration and my friend. My life would never be so fulfilled without you. We take on every day together and we tackle our challenges with a lot of problem solving and a lot of fun. If you ever leave me, I will hunt you down, just so you know.

17. drewshimkus says:

We have choices in life the old static vs dynamic . You are definitely dynamic !

• angelknorr says:

Thank you so much Drew!! I so look forward to meeting you next month at the Symposium. It’s going to be a great learning experience and a lot of fun too 🙂

• Drew Shimkus says:

Hi Angel I look forward to meeting you all as well (a little nervous never left Bruce with a sitter for the entire weekend…)
        🙂

18. Leisa Evans says:

Angel, This reminds me of a poem, I stumbled upon one day. “The Man in the Mirror”. Looking in your mirror I see a beautiful person that takes great care of herself, juggles many jobs beautifully including being a Mom, and makes it look effortless!

19. Larhonda says:

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 22 spot, you should build quality backlinks ,
    it will help you to increase traffic. I know how to help you, just type in google –
    k2 seo tips and tricks